Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Where I'm coming from

Here I am, sipping my Lean Green Shake, (recipe previously posted) vanilla protein is gone, and I'm short on skim milk, so I added chocolate protein and 1/4c Green Naked Juice drink. Verdict- pretty darn good! Has a richer taste, and feels a little thicker. ...But anyway, back to the topic I signed onto here to write about. I'm going to slightly diverge from food today, and talk a little, ok alot, about my background, in case you ever want to know where I'm coming from- so humor me!

I grew up a small town in NH where as I look back on it now, my life pretty much revolved around playing sports. My love affair with fitness began at the ripe age of about 6 when I started playing softball with just about every other kid in our town: (there really wasn't a whole lot else for us to do other than join the town league). Obviously then it really didn't matter if we were good or not, and that's a good thing because frankly I wasn't showing too much promise picking daisies in the outfield...But I stuck with it, and my Dad eventually landed the Coaching job for my team, thus beginning our turbulent father-daughter sport season relationship, haha. Little side note here- to know me, you know my father. We are very much alike in mannerisms, meaning we're both incredibly sweet people, will give you the shirt off our backs, but watch the temper! I've learn to keep mine private, but believe me competitions can bring out the emotions! Back to story- I made him practice with me EVERY day! Pitch, catch, bat (wasn't so hott with this one), run the bases, field, whatever I wanted. I loved the sport, and everyone used to find it so funny that I was actually 'good'! I didn't get it- so what I'm small?? I'm quick, I hustle, and more than anything I had soo much heart. I wanted to win, but more I just wanted to have fun with my friends.

By 8th grade my Dad no longer coached, from the actual coaching dugout that is, haha, but my glory continued. By now I was also playing volleyball yearround, (this beginning in 6th grade). Now this sport I LOVED. We didn't have cheer leading or gymnastics or dance, or any of the girly things I wanted at school, so volleyball was what I 'settled' for. And I'm soo glad I did! In all honesty I don't remember the stats, but I remember my love and passion for the game: it was something so intense that I don't think I could recreate it if I tried. I had this exact conversation with a client about week ago, about the intensity we used to feel when stepping onto the court, or in her case, the field. It's a beautiful feeling, and after high school I didn't know if I would ever feel it again...

My love for the sport (volleyball), and a little softball too, must have shown through. I received Coach's Awards, and MVP's all through my career, but what really shook me was my senior year. I was in a small class, but it was filled with talented athletes. I was honored to have been chosen as "Athlete of the Year", and different All-State teams, and a Captain on my team. It was an amazing end to an amazing career. With this I embarked onto college, a little unsure of what to study, but with a spot on the volleyball team...

College, well, to sum it up: it was an expensive 2 years! lol I was not ready, and unsure of what I wanted to do. I loved sports, but was I going to be a pro athlete??? ummm NO...After two years I decided to go to cosmetology school. I always had an interest in becoming an esthician, but after meeting with the director of Toni and Guy Hairdressing Academy in RI, I was ready and signed up to become the most 'FABULOUS' hairdresser there was! It was a long 9 months, but so rewarding! I LOVED my family there, and I loved the craft I had learned.

After graduating, for the next 2 1/2 years, I worked my butt off!!! I did hair, I bartended, I was a liquor promoter, I worked all the time; I WAS A WORKOHOLIC! Ahh, feels good to say it, as I'm sitting on my butt writing:) And for those 2 years, it suited my lifestlye, but I wasn't healthy. And I don't think I was very happy either, (with myself that is). The reality of it was that I felt like something was missing- problem being- I didn't know what. My eating habits were out of whack, my sleep schedule was terrible, whatever sleep I got that its, and all I did was cardio cardio cardio, (to be skinny, you know? lol) At this point in my life I was at a fork- which way to go? Which to pick? It was at this point that a client of mine, that I had been friends with for sometime now, told me I looked pretty much like Nicole Richie...awkward pause...ok, dealing with reality is not always the easiest thing. Confronting the issue head on is ugly and terrible, but let me tell you I'm soo glad I did. It's been almost a year since her telling me this, and I can't thank her enough. This woman turned my life around. She also introduced me into the fitness world, and got me to do my first show. I was in love...

And that I was: in love with fitness and competing, and with my now husband. This man as you can tell from previous blogs, is my rock. He is the love of my life, and my biggest fan. I moved out to Hawaii to be here with him, and start our life together. It has been quite the transitional phase going from working girl to just wanting to be home with him. I've also found my lifestyle, and priorities have really changed. When I first moved to Hawaii I read an article in Oxygen Magazine about a woman who was trying to juggle her full time job, while also becoming a fitness competitor and model. Eventually she quick her job, and is now a has a successful career in the Fitness Industry. Being a bit impulsive, I immediately looked up schools for Nutrition.

Yesterday I read a friend's story of her life changing experiences that lead her to sell her business and begin a new one in a whole new career field! It's funny when signs like that seem to pop up at times of unclarity, seemingly pointing you in the right direction. It seems I have found my 'missing piece'. The more I read and learn about nutrition, cooking, helping others, working out, teaching, basically anything that health and wellness encompass, the more I feel at home. And that feeling I used to get on the court, I've found it again: in teaching and working the stage, and seeing an article I wrote being published! I'm excited, I'm happy, and I'm healthy. I am currently enrolled to finish my BA in Nutrition and am studying for my AFFA certification in Primary Group Fitness. Life is good. Upon leaving Hawaii in August for our next duty station I'm excited to see what life brings.

So if you've stuck with me to the end of this longgg blog, thankyou!

No comments:

Post a Comment