Friday, March 19, 2010

past, present, future...

Ahh finally a morning where I get to sit in peace for more than 10-15 min! I get to enjoy my coffee and actually write something more than a short paragraph! So get comfy, I know I am! I'm sitting here in my PJ's on the couch, gearing up for a long one, so get some popcorn (just kidding, get your kale chips or trailmix!)...

In fear that this may sound a bit lofty or possibly preachy, please look beyond that and take what you can from this piece. I try not to 'take sides' or preach when I write, just give you ideas that hopefully spark something in your mind. My goal is to create an interest, and provide information towards living a healthy lifestyle through healthy eating, exercise, and positive mental health.

Today I'm going to talk about the mental health aspect. Lately I've been finding myself being a bit nostalgic or missing home. I wrestle with the idea of letting these thoughts creep in, or to push them away in fear of them intruding on my present life. I don't know if my thoughts wander because I am thousands of miles away from home, or if something in my present life is bringing them back, I just don't know. (Here's where it may get a bit lofty, so bear with me.) These thoughts, we all have them: what do we with them? Are they who we were in the past? Who we are now? I think they are a comibination of both. We wouldn't be who we are today without the past, both good and bad...

Then of course theres the sorting of the thoughts...do you let in all the memories of your past? Personally I say, yes. Focus on the postive memories and thoughts, but do not completely block out the less that desirable memories. For those memories helped shape who you are today, and supressed memories will do nothing but torment you.

We all live in somewhat of our own realities. We tend to see what we want to see, and for the most part, do what we want to do. Sometimes we can even completely reivent ourselves (hey, look at Madonna!) And thats wonderful, to get a fresh start, and begin something new. But don't forget what it was that got you there...My point (if you haven't realized it yet), is don't forget where you came from, because it is the gateway to all the success in your future.

So, remember your past, live in the present, and plan for the future! And have a great day:)

1 comment:

  1. I love this blog Elspeth. You are young in age, but very mature in your thoughts. Thank you for being in my son's life!!

    ReplyDelete